Fáilte!

The people we choose to share our ups and downs with in life are our best friends, our confidants.

Thursday, October 28, 2010

My Introduction to Picadillo

Picadillo is a traditional dish in many Latin American countries and the Philippines (where it is known as giniling) that is similar to hash. In the Philippines, picadillo is traditionally made with beef and either potatoes or chayote. I had reservations about this because I had nothing like it in my experience, but I was pleasantly surprised.

·         1 ½ lb lean ground beef
·         6 cloves garlic, minced
·         1 tbsp vegetable oil
·         1 medium sized onion, chopped
·         2 medium sized tomato, chopped
·         2 c cubed potato, in small pieces
·         2 tbsp light soy sauce
·         1/3 c water
·         ½ c sweet red pepper, cubed into small pieces – optional
·         Salt and pepper to taste

Brown the meat with the garlic and onions. Season lightly with salt. Add tomato, cook until soft. Add potato, soy sauce, water, salt and pepper.
Cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until meat and potato cubes are tender. Add pepper cubes last to add color. Cook for 1-2 minutes.
Correct seasonings to taste. Serve immediately.

(If you decide this is something you want to try, let me know how your picadillo experience goes!)
Being the first Filipino recipe I've tried making from David's recipe book, I was surprised at how easy and tasty the dish was. Mixing potato chunks with rice was different, but come on, who doesn't love carb on carb? Far be it for me to say carb on carb is a combination that doesn't work. In fact, it works, it works REALLY well. Overall, it was a successful and fun culinary adventure :)

No comments:

Post a Comment