Fáilte!

The people we choose to share our ups and downs with in life are our best friends, our confidants.

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Good Ol’ American Pie

Over the weekend David and I went to a local Farm Market with a couple we’re friends with and had a great time picking out locally grown apples. Since its apple season I thought it’d be a good idea to focus on baking apples so I could put together a delicious apple pie.
I love apples, I have since I was little, and I can remember learning about apples and Johnny Appleseed in first grade and being fascinated. So, when I read some information  about it on www.Wikipedia.com it didn’t  surprise me that since the beginning apples have been associated with love, beauty, luck, health, comfort, pleasure, wisdom, temptation, sensuality, sexuality, virility and fertility. In Greek mythology, Gaia, or Mother Earth, presented a tree with golden apples to Zeus and his bride Hera on their wedding day. Guarded by Ladon, a serpent who never slept, the apple tree was in the garden of the Hesperides, daughters of the Evening Star. These golden apples became involved with many tales of love, bribery and temptation.
So back to my story, at the local Farmers Market I mostly picked out Rome and Stayman apples since they’re good for baking. Earlier in the week I made David one of his favorite desserts, Lemon Meringue pie, and I had extra pie crust so I thought I’d use it for this apple pie. So I gathered all the ingredients and got ready to bake!
This crust recipe came from David’s grandmother, and the pie recipe I tweaked combining ideas from several different recipes. I decided to use the crumb topping (found at http://heavenlyhomemakers.com/crumb-topping-premade)
Apple Pie Recipe


·         Crust (recipe below)
Filling
·         3 lbs apples
·         ½ c sugar
·         ½ c brown sugar
·         1 tbsp cinnamon
·         ¼ c water
·         ½ c butter
Topping
·         ½ c flour
·         ½ c oats
·         ¼ tsp nutmeg
·         2 tbsp sugar
·         3 tbsp melted butter
  1. Peel and cut apples into either chunks or slices.

2. Mix with cinnamon and ½ c sugar. Stir and cook over medium heat until tender.
3. While the apples cook roll out the crust and fit into the pie pan (9”). Pour the filling into the pie crust.

No comments:

Post a Comment