Fáilte!

The people we choose to share our ups and downs with in life are our best friends, our confidants.

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Homemade Goodness!

Vanilla Extract
Our friend was generous to gift me a bunch of extra vanilla beans that she had, and since I’ve been cooking/baking a lot recently I decided I’d follow her example and make some homemade vanilla extract. This was especially appealing because many of the recipes I have call for “pure” vanilla extract, not imitation. Only, at the store the “pure” stuff is like $14 bucks for a small container. Waaaay too expensive for the amount I have been using in the last few months.
She gave me a couple different ones like, Madagascar and Tahitian. I had to look up the differences between these types and I found that (according to Wikipedia) Madagascar beans are powerful, dark, full vanilla flavor beans, while Tahitian beans are more fruity and floral.  Then I read that the Mexican variety has just a hint of sweet creaminess. While I was reading up on vanilla beans, I came across the same advice several times: The best way to buy them (most economical) is to get them online. It also said that vanilla is the second most expensive spice after saffron. So, if you’re in the market for v-beans, or you plan on trying out this little home project after you read this post, I would look into buying them on the internet. A lot of the stores I’ve walked in had vanilla beans priced around $3 per bean! No thank you! I will stick to the better prices through online vendors.
FUN FACT: In 1841, a 12-year-old French-owned slave by the name of Edmond Albius, discovered the vanilla orchid could be hand pollinated, allowing global cultivation of the plant (According to Wikipedia.com).
Anyway, so I picked out my beans and started this project, excited and a little giddy with the prospect of what I could make when this was done….
·         A high-proof alcohol like vodka, bourbon or rum.  Go for the 80 proof + varieties.
·         Three vanilla beans per cup of alcohol
1.      Use a sharp paring knife to cut lengthwise down the center of the vanilla beans, leaving about an inch at the top of the vanilla bean uncut.
2.      Put the vanilla beans in a glass jar with a tight fitting lid.  I used mason jars.
3.      Cover the beans completely with alcohol. It’s three vanilla beans per cup of alcohol, so if you use 2 cups of vodka split open six vanilla beans and throw them in the jar.
4.      Tightly cover the jar and give it a good shake.  Store in a cool dry place for two months.  Give the bottle a good shake every week or so, just so you don’t forget all about it. Here are my “before” and “Almost done” pictures. 
                               9/6/10                               10/25/10                                          11/18/10
                                Start                       1 month 20 days later            2 months 2 weeks later

5.      After two months have passed, your vanilla extract should be ready for your favorite recipes.  
*If you have friends who love to bake or are hobby bakers, but they haven’t done this yet, you could put the extract in cute bottles and give them as gifts. They will love this, especially if they are poor student bakers, they will definitely appreciate the upgrade in this ingredient. If you plan on doing a lot of that or if you’re just a maniac baker J then you could get a giant glass bottle and do what this blogger did (I love reading her blog) http://heavenlyhomemakers.com/how-to-finish-your-homemade-vanilla-extract
Now, with the holidays approaching I will have plenty of vanilla extract to make all sorts of goodies. I have a whole list that I will post very soon...


No comments:

Post a Comment