Fáilte!

The people we choose to share our ups and downs with in life are our best friends, our confidants.

Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Stories I'm Hooked On

As of late, I am completely and utterly hooked on the Mary Russell book series by Laurie R. King. Why you ask? Because I am apparently a sucker for a strong female lead who is stubborn, adventurous and speaks her mind. Especially if the author doesn't make them swoon too often. King excels in writing this story, masterfully blending together the classic view of Sherlock and a somewhat changed Sherlock in retirement. Inserting a, albeit unique, relationship into his life and making her just as intriguing as Sherlock himself. I find myself wanting to know more about Mary, their relationship, but most of all - their mysteries! I have Liang to thank for introducing me to this wonderful storyline. Excellent choice of books Liang! The characters are always interesting and the dynamic between Holmes and Mary is always entertaining. How King writes Mary's character actually reminds me of a different book series that I cherish. Elizabeth Peter's Amelia Peabody series displays a similar type of main character, except in this series it also involves her entire family in their adventures!

A second story line that I am hooked on is the popular PBS show, Sherlock. I have always loved the character Sherlock Holmes and this show portrays it in a slightly different light and I enjoy the new spin on him. My only complaint is that there are only a few episodes every season :(
I find myself frustrated and wanting more every time I watch an episode. Anyone else feel like they are unnecessarily teasing us and building up the next season too much?

Anyways, you should try both of these if you haven't already because both are top notch entertainment. Any suggestions of other books that are great?

No comments:

Post a Comment