Fáilte!

The people we choose to share our ups and downs with in life are our best friends, our confidants.

Saturday, November 17, 2012

A Rafter of...Turkeys?

My sister, Sara recently visited me for a long weekend and she brought me a very festive surprise for November - a rafter of turkeys!! You may be wondering what the heck a rafter of turkeys is, and I'm not being weird. A group of turkeys is technically a rafter, like a herd of sheep or a gaggle of geese. Here's my cute rafter:


They were so cute I almost couldn't eat them. HAHA. Like that could happen, of COURSE I ate them. My people would be proud. Our learning what a rafter was took place while we were all out to dinner and it involved some adult bev's, an i-phone and lots of laughter.

I thought this thoughtful gift was very apt with Thanksgiving fast approaching. Liang and I are planning a joint effort on a non-traditional Thanksgiving meal, which I'm sure will be posted whether on here or on our joint blog, Nerds with Aprons.
Well, with that big meal soon to occur I have been trying to scurry and get all my other little things done so I don't feel SO overwhelmed :) This included making a shopping trip to Costco to get items to make a trail mix for snacks and lunches. Yes, I know I could buy a bunch of pre-mixed stuff. And yes, I know they're just as available at Costco as the individual ingredients. However, I actually have a great time putting my own mix together and changing it up. I doubt whether it's healthier (except maybe lower in sodium depending on what I add into it) but it makes me feel good. So I do it. This time I made 4 batches of my homemade granola, which I have put in earlier posts. I did omit the nuts in the recipe since I'd be adding lots of them into the trail mix. After shopping for almost, peanuts, M&Ms (everyone needs a little chocolate in their lives), and raisins I set up my assembly line. I lined up the nuts with a 1 oz serving scoop (aka shot glass), a spoon for the granola, digital scale, and a small scoop for the candy. I grabbed my snack bags and I was ready to start the magic. With each snack bag of trail mix I created with 1 serving of each ingredient, and ended up with 4 3/4 oz trail mix bags. Since I was using a scale to be consistent I could rely on my math and was able to calculate that with the total cost of the ingredients and the 44 trail mix bags I ended up with, each only cost 76 cents! David kept commenting on how happy I looked, and I had to then explain how much FUN I find putting things like this together and figuring out the breakdown. I know, I'm odd. I'm okay with it :)


No comments:

Post a Comment