Fáilte!

The people we choose to share our ups and downs with in life are our best friends, our confidants.

Monday, January 13, 2014

Skirt Making Shindig!

So, since we now know we’re having a little girl J I’ve dived back into my crafting after the holidays with renewed gusto! I found this tutorial for baby skirts you can pair over top a onesie and I just loved them. I followed this tutorial:

http://www.danamadeit.com/2012/04/celebrate-baby-tutorial-and-pattern-little-baby-circle-skirt.html

I was able to find a 5 pack of fabric at Michael’s when we were shopping Saturday of fabric pieces that were just right for the 0-3 month size (allegedly. We shall see if it fits a human baby though). But since the fabric was folded up into tiny tiny pieces I had to iron each one out.

Oh yes, check out that expert ironing ability. Score one for me. Then I used the tutorials pattern to cut out over top my fabric, which I folded into quarters (I nearly made the mistake of folding the fabric just in half and would have ended up with a half circle – NOT ideal ha ha). Just know that you need to put the patterns ends on the folded sides, not the cut ones. 





Then came the tricky part for me since I am no guru with a sewing machine – sewing a hem on a circular pattern. This took me some time. And LOTS of swearing pins.



The tutorial then instructs me to cut out 14-15” of elastic banding, which I had 2” elastic since I didn’t think myself capable of working with something smaller. I cut that portion out and sewed the raw ends together and then sewed the seam open so I didn’t aggravate my future Lil gal more than I need to with clothing.


At last I could see the light at the end of the tunnel. I had a finished elastic waist band for the little one and a hemmed circle skirt. Now the only thing I had to do was connect them – easy peasy, right? Wrong. At least for me. I pinned and re-pinned that stupid band to the skirt I don’t know how many times trying to follow instructions. Eventually I had to do the opposite of what the tutorial shows and turned the skirt and band inside out and pinned it that way so I could see that I was actually sewing the skirt to the waist band instead of missing the fabric and having a hobo-esque skirt as a finished product.




 In the end I triumphed and ended up with a pretty adorable skirt after everything, but just for giggles I adorned it with a felt rosette pin I made with some scrap felt. When I saw this finished product I won’t lie – I was a bit giddy that I could make something so stinkin’ cute.



 At the end of the day I finished with two skirts, a pink and a yellow one, and a few felt rosette pins as well. Not too shabby (and yes, I definitely patted myself on the back for this). Now I have my fingers crossed this work isn’t in vain and they will actually be wearable, you know, for like a week ha ha.













No comments:

Post a Comment