Fáilte!

The people we choose to share our ups and downs with in life are our best friends, our confidants.

Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Ragù! Mangi!

Today I woke up with a hankering for pasta. You know the kind where you wake up and remember fond memories of growing up and eating different dishes. The memory that came to me is when I would be at my grandma’s when I was young (and also when I was older) and she would lovingly open and make a can of Chef Boyardee. I know, I know. Laugh it up chuckles, hahaha. Many MANY families probably grew up eating much better quality pasta sauces, however, for me I remember having the Chef Boyardee with a side of love and care. I had a hankering to replicate that feeling/memory. Plus, we hadn’t had it in a while and I thought it’d be a nice change. So I set off to make a sauce that was high quality in flavor but reminded me or that memory. I think I came up with a good solution.

Meat Pasta Sauce

  • -          2 tsp salt
  • -          6 tsp dry basil
  • -          1 ½ red pepper flakes
  • -          ½ tsp black pepper
  • -          10 cloves garlic, minced
  • -          ½ large onion, minced
  • -          2 small shallots
  • -          2 hot Italian sausages, ground up
  • -          1 – 1 ½ lb ground beef
  • -          2 (29 oz) diced or whole tomatoes
  • -          1-2 (29 oz) tomato sauces
  • -          2 lb rotini pasta
  • -          1/8 c parmesan cheese
  • -          Heavy cream – optional and to taste


  1. Sauté the shallots, onion, and garlic in a little oil, until translucent. Add the meat and chop up and brown. Stir in the spices.
  2. Add the tomato sauce and diced tomatoes to a sauce pot with the sautéed onion/garlic/shallot mix. Stew for a couple hours (2 at least) on a simmer.
  3. At the very end of cooking add the parmesan cheese slowly stirring the whole time so that it doesn’t clump. If adding cream, add now. Take off heat.
  4. This should make plenty for 2 lbs pasta. Cook noodles al dente. Drain well. Mix into sauce.
YUM!! Mission accomplished. Tasted amazing and the smell brought back fond memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment