Fáilte!

The people we choose to share our ups and downs with in life are our best friends, our confidants.

Friday, March 14, 2014

The Running Total

Since finding out we were pregnant waaaaaay back in September all I heard and read was to stay as active as I can and be healthy. So, since Liang and I had already gotten into the habit of jogging and exercising it wasn't too difficult - you know, until I wasn't allowed to run anymore. Then the walking ensued.
Once I entered into the home stretch (aka 3rd trimester) I started getting curious. What was the total I had moved to date? I looked back at my spreadsheet I keep of my exercise (yes, I am that obsessive haha) and totalled it up. I was lucky enough to have previously signed up for races that took place early on, so I accumulated a lot of miles through that front loading, and insane motivated enough to actually finish them once the race day arrived.
All in all since finding out I was pregnant to now, 30 weeks!, I have jogged/walked a total of 203.69 miles! Say what?! I did that? I essentially ran a little further past Harrisburg, PA from Pittsburgh. I don't know about you but I felt that was due a little celebration.

And that's where the Beignets come into play : D
Of course I was telling you about my exercise, gearing up, to tell you all about something tasty and not so good for you! Haha.

Beignets are New Orleans gift to the world. A Southern doughnut. I don't often like fried sweets, but once in a while I'll make an exception for something as good as this.


The dough is VERY sticky, as you can see below I needed to generously flour the counter I rolled it out on.


Using a pizza cutter was the easiest to cut these suckers out. Easy peasy.


Frying isn't the healthiest of options, but as a treat it can make a mean dessert!


Oops, these may have been on the one side frying a little too long. Oh well, you can't ruin it with crisp! 

When done remove from hot oil and let drain on paper towels, dust generously with powdered sugar and settle in to enjoy an amazing treat : D

Beignets
The Cooks Illustrated recipe and method

Makes 2 dozen

  • 1 c water at 110 degrees F
  • 3 tbsp granulated sugar
  • 1 tbsp instant or rapid rise yeast
  • 3 c AP flour
  • 3/4 tsp salt
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 tbsp oil
  • oil for frying
  • powdered sugar

  1. Combine water, 1 tablespoon granulated sugar, and yeast in large bowl and let sit until foamy, about 5 minutes. Combine flour, remaining 2 tablespoons granulated sugar, and salt in second bowl. Whisk eggs and 2 tablespoons oil into yeast mixture. Add flour mixture and stir vigorously with rubber spatula until dough comes together. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate until nearly doubled in size, about 1 hour.
  2. Set wire rack inside rimmed baking sheet. Line second sheet with ­parchment paper and dust heavily with flour. Place half of dough on well-floured counter and pat into rough rectangle with floured hands, flipping to coat with flour. Roll dough into ¼-inch-thick rectangle (roughly 12 by 9 inches). Using pizza wheel, cut dough into twelve 3-inch squares and transfer to floured sheet. Repeat with remaining dough.
  3. Add enough of remaining 2 quarts oil to large Dutch oven to measure about 1½ inches deep and heat over medium-high heat to 350 degrees. Place 6 beignets in oil and fry until golden brown, about 3 minutes, flipping halfway through frying. Adjust burner, if necessary, to maintain oil temperature between 325 and 350 degrees. Using slotted spoon or spider, transfer beignets to prepared wire rack. Return oil to 350 degrees and repeat with remaining beignets. Dust beignets with confectioners’ sugar. Serve immediately.

We did find that we could freeze the extras pretty successfully after they had cooled completely and to re-heat we put them in a preheated oven at 350 degrees. It took about 10 minutes to crisp up and then we topped them with the powdered sugar. I tip my cap to you chefs at Cooks Illustrated!




No comments:

Post a Comment