Fáilte!

The people we choose to share our ups and downs with in life are our best friends, our confidants.

Wednesday, April 9, 2014

My Rain Forest Wall Art

Over the past year and a half (or so. I don't really remember, but it's been a little while) I've been paper quilling cards trying to master the art. It seems like a pretty obscure hobby because it is lol, but I like how it looks and it's pretty neat. I've been making almost all my cards that I send out to people and I like how they're original. When I first started I was  having so much fun I wanted to do everything at once. So, I apologize to people who got very kindergarten looking cards from me, when others looked nicer. I blame my learning curve and the time when I made different cards. However, since starting I've been gradually getting better and better. At this point I am pretty happy with some of the creations I've put together, and others embarrassed to even claim. *Sigh* That is life I suppose.

The way I operate is I sit down and think of what kind of card I'm making, for whom because I take into account their preference of colors, favorite flowers or activities, etc. and then scour Google images for inspiration. For the most part I look over a couple hundred images and keep track of elements in different pictures that I like and eventually put together a finished image in my mind. This takes a lot of time. I'll admit that I've downplayed how much time just because I realize that most people would think I'm insane to spend the time I do on this endeavor. BUT, it is my main hobby and up to now I've had the time to do it while watching TV, talking to David, or when I'm home alone after work. Although, now with a baby on the way I am sure this upcoming year is going to be challenging in itself with time management and such. I have accepted the fact that I will be tabling this time consuming hobby for a while, probably a long while, and with that in mind I decided that I was going to try to go all out on this years cards. Just a heads up if you get a super bling-ed out card, it's because of this very reason. I held no embellishment back that I thought could make it cute. Sorry guys if yours come out a bit girl-y.

Anyways, to my point. While scouring images for this years cards I often come across images of peoples amazing work that are wall art, rather than for cards. They can be REALLY impressive and I am NO WHERE near that level of masterful-ness. But I of course admire. Then it occurred to me while I was struggling with a certain card that perhaps I could instead of making a card, I could make a frame-able 'card' for this individual. Now, the reason for this is because I've been disappointed with my ability to come up with good ideas for not only cards for them but also gifts. It is challenging. Thus this idea sprouted and I ran with it. For a while. A long while, haha. They love birds, so I figured a pretty rain forest scene would be something within my abilities and come out looking nice. Can I just tell you making a quilled Macaw with tiny pieces fit together is tedious. I actually felt like I was doing stained glass that's how tedious the work felt. But I finished the bird and was quite happy with the result. Then I moved on to the part I felt was more difficult - the 3D flora pieces to make it a rain forest. This part took a lot of time, because rain forests have a lot of ferns and palms and cutting those things out of card stock and bending them to look like they were real took some time. And a couple do-overs. Here's a picture of when I was playing around with the pieces, figuring out where to place them:




In the end I was really happy and proud of the finished piece of wall art, but I understand why people don't pump those out (or at least why sane people don't) and have so much more respect for those who create delicate and elaborate wall pieces in this fashion. I was impressed before but now I am blown away. Anyways, I finished my humble piece and was able to give it to the individual early since I am afraid with our upcoming move that it'll get ruined (and that would make me really cry). I need to get David to take a picture of the finished product since I didn't have time to before I gave it to them - it was quite hurried at the end to give it to them when I was able to see them. These cards I've been making kind of feel like a last hurrah to my hobbies and the activities I enjoy now since I don't anticipate getting to have that much 'me' time in the near future. Maybe I'm wrong, I guess I can always hope :) but I expect our lives to change dramatically in the next couple months. Yay! : D


No comments:

Post a Comment