Fáilte!

The people we choose to share our ups and downs with in life are our best friends, our confidants.

Friday, April 11, 2014

Southwest Frittata for Dinner

Since entering into the 3rd Trimester, I've definitely felt the physical urge to eat more protein. I wasn't given proper warning, so I'll do anyone out there who may be expecting and hasn't been warned: You will get to a point where you will want to rip someone limb from limb until you get to eat a whole bunch of meat. You'll be on a crazy hulk-like rampage until you satiate this need for meat. Yes, I mean meat. I don't know how other people get through it on only vegetarian options. Don't get me wrong, I love eating all those items such as  eggs, Greek yogurt and other dairy products, quinoa, nuts, variety of beans, certain vegetables, chia seeds, etc. In fact, David started calling me Gaston for a short while during the time when I was trying to get a lot of protein through eggs and these other methods without changing the amount of meat intake I was used to. It just didn't cut it. Not only didn't cut it, but fell FAR short. I was cranky because I felt constantly hungry, like a bottomless void resided in my stomach, but I was trying to not over eat because that is not a good thing to do either while pregnant. I did not want to face my doctor and try to explain the reason I had put on 10 lbs in 2 weeks was just because "I just wasn't ever full". No thanks lol. Eventually, David got through to me and I remedied the situation by just eating more meat products, but my story is more about the time when I was eating all the eggs.

I love frittata's. I loved them before when I was running a lot and losing weight, and I love them now while I'm not running, but I am walking :), and gaining weight haha. So, why should my meals be any different or less delicious than they were before? Frittata's are great at breakfast, but they're also delicious at dinner too. I'm an equal opportunity frittata eater I suppose you could say. When I have an egg craving, hot peppers, chorizo sausage, tomatoes, onion, and fresh mozzarella available in my pantry - I of course think of a Southwest Frittata. You really can't go wrong. Anyways, I just made it up with what I had on hand and it was wonderful, as expected. I enjoyed it immensely as David chowed down on salsa and chips. Personally I think my Brinner was the better meal, but he seemed to really enjoy those chips!



Southwest Frittata

  • 5 eggs, beaten
  • Salt and pepper
  • Cheese (I used fresh mozz because I had it but any you like works)
  • herbs of preference (cilantro, basil, whatever you like)
  • 1/2 small onion, diced
  • 1-2 hot peppers, diced
  • 1 medium tomato, chopped
  • 3-4 oz chorizo sausage, or meat of choice
  • 3 tbsp black beans
  • 1 tbsp butter
  1. Pre-heat broiler and set rack so pan will fit without being too close and just burning everything
  2. Beat eggs in a small bowl and stir in salt and pepper, the cheese, and any herbs you're adding. 
  3. Prep the onion, hot peppers, and tomato so they're ready to go. Heat small fry pan over medium heat and melt the butter. Swirl it around the pan to coat. 
  4. Saute the meat and onions until they are starting to brown and then add in the hot peppers and let those saute for a minute. Add in the tomatoes and let those cook down a little bit. Their juice will help you scrape up any 'flavorings' on the bottom of the pan now. Toss in the black beans and just let them heat up for like 30 seconds in the pan. 
  5. Pour in your egg mixture and using a heat proof spatula let medium sized curds form and then stir around the mixture. When things seem to be evenly distributed let the egg mix set. Once the center just seems to be a little loose remove from heat and put into the oven under the broiler. Broil for 2-3 minutes - don't walk away. It can go wrong fast!
  6. Once top is golden remove carefully from the oven and let cool for a few minutes on the stove. Again use your heat proof spatula (clean it before this since you were last using it with the raw egg mixture) and loosen the edges and try to lift up the bottom. 
  7. Once loose enough you should be able to slide it right out of your pan onto a cutting board. Let cool another couple minutes, otherwise you'll for sure burn your mouth. While you wait you can toast some whole wheat bread, or whatever you like to eat with your eggs. I like open faced sandwiches. Enjoy! 







No comments:

Post a Comment